Thursday, March 8, 2012

Cylinder Pt.1

When people think about motors, they think about pistons and spark plugs and carburetors.  The same applies when they visit the zoo.  The lions get all the attention - so much so that nobody thinks about how awesome the cage is.  People trust it, and forget about it.



With the BSA, the "cage" is a cast iron (rusts in 20 minutes), heavy as f**k, finned piece of frustrating motor meat.  Here's what I've had to do so far:

My old +0.020 cylinders were warped, so I got a new/used one ($90). They required being acid dipped to remove all old impurities ($35).  They required being bored out to a perfect +0.020 measurement to match the AWESOME hepolite +20 pistons ($90).  They required a full rub down with a scotch pad and a thorough cleaning with baby wipes.  They required a homemade ceramic paint job ($10).

All in all, it was $225 to replace the cylinders to a beauty.  My other option was to use my existing cylinders, bore them out and get new +40 pistons and rings.  It sounds like it might have been easier to do do it that way, but a) I would have spent $90 for a bore anyway.  b) new QUALITY pistons are about $400.  c) New +40 rings are $100.  d) I'd still have to refinish everything.

SO, had I used my original cylinder, I'd have spent $600.  I fixed it for $225.  I'm smart.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment