Friday, September 7, 2012

Glaciers Move at Slow Speeds Too

It's either as hot as the infernal bowels of hell, or raining in biblical proportions these days, so very little riding is getting done (not much garage time either).  On the other hand, it's ideal to make lots of phone calls, emails, and get plenty of research done and design ideas worked out.

For example, I've been toying around with a custom badge for the side cover of the bike, and I think this would look nice:

I thought it looked nice, so I made one for a CB350 for fun:

(The wife says no.  We'll see.)

I also finalized that Amal DOES INDEED make the 626 carb in the premier setup, but I've found most dealers to be complete pains in the ass when it comes to ordering one with my specs.  Apparently, there's basically only 1 or 2 distributors here in the states, and they haven't yet stocked them.  I'll get it eventually, even if I have to order it from the UK...

Additionally, I got in touch with Cliff Meyer, the sheet metal genius behind MeyerBuilt Metalworks, and if all the pieces fall into place, he'll hopefully be building my tank and tail.  Here's some of his work:



It looks like I'll also be getting the headlight from Benjis Cafe, since I want to eliminate the big clunky gear cluster, and do a speedo-in-headlight setup.  That means a tach delete plate, but I'm not planning on red-lining it, so I don't really NEED it.


Lastly, I'm still contemplating how I want to do a painted tank, and this version looks beautiful!


Although, I'm not sure about the 2-tone tail.  I love using the polished aluminum as a design aspect.  OOH!!!

Oh yeah, one last thing, I forgot to mention that I'm thinking very hard about clear anodization of the polished aluminum parts.  Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment