Monday, September 3, 2012

Y, Oh Y!!!

I've spent all day compiling research for the bike, and I've come to a realization about "Y" everything has been an uphill battle, as far as parts are concerned.  It has everything to do with the "Y".


Now, this isn't my motor, but is an example of a "Y" bike.  What does that mean?  It means that between 1967 and 1970, the BSA Motorcycle Co. was asleep at the wheel when it came to everything, including the VIN numbers, and even the model years of their bikes.  From what I've gathered:

a) BSA had thousands of 1967 model bikes, and they made updates to them and resold them as 1968, 69, and 70 models, while still retaining the original 1967 paperwork.  Some confusion occurs due to the extra stamping of the "Y" after the VIN on the engine cases.

or

b) The factory fucked up.

or

c)  Who the hell knows?

Bottom line: I'm not the only one with this issue, and I'm 99% certain that my '67 BSA A50 is actually a '69/'70 model that was confusingly titled as a '67... whatever.  What does that mean?

Well, it means that I'll be using the '69/'70 books as parts reference for one.  Other then that, very little is different between the years, so it's not as bad as it could be.  If I were going back to stock, I'd be in bad shape, but I'm not, so it's all good!

No comments:

Post a Comment