Saturday, September 1, 2012

I'm a dirty, dirty slacker.

Okay.  It's been forever and a day since I last updated.  I apologize.  I started a new job, so that's soaked up some of my time, but the big fat hickey on the neck of the issue is that Indianapolis has experienced an unprecedented heat wave of biblical proportions.  I think it even rained frogs once.  Point being, is that if it's 100 degrees outside (which it has been) it's 130 in my garage.  Add the fact that the BSA motor genius who has been my Obi-Wan Kenobi, owns an industrial painting company and it's his busy season, so we have an understandable hiatus.

BUT...  I haven't been completely idle.  In fact, I traveled to Shit-Stain, Ohio for the AMA Vintage Days, where I purchased a handful of sexy parts at 1/4th their regular price.  Keen readers will remember that Vintage Days (circa 2004) is where I purchased the BSA in the first place.  For $400.  From an awesome guy named Steve, of whom I've kept in contact.



Sadly, Vintage Days is a shadow of its' former self, but I was fortunate to find 2 stock A65s that I could take reference photos and figure out the insane 2-piece, quick change rear axle.  That, plus the fact that I bought a replacement triple-tree for $25 made the trip worth while.


I did, however, get to renew my membership in the Ohio Valley BSA Owners Club, and I saw a sprinkling of amazing stuff.  For example, a fabulous Contessa:


Also, a Ducati Brio:


All in all, it was a good day.  But.  Not as good as today.

On Thursday, I went to Mark's garage and we put the new rear half-shaft on the lathe to trim it to fit the new bearings.  It's now a perfect fit.  Today, for the first time ever, I fitted the bits back together and the rear axle is finally complete.  I did some test fitting with a handful of other parts and was blown away.  It's actually starting to look like a motorcycle.  I plopped the old tank on there for fitting, and I'm very excited about the sexy "pitbull" stance that this little bike has... But don't take my word for it, check it out for yourself:


Dear modern motorcycle manufacturers:  WAKE UP!!!  We want this.  No more plastic cowled nightmares.  Sex appeal is made of iron.

Today's big revelation is that I'm keeping the front fender.  Initially I thought it would look silly in the cafe/scrambler theme I'm going for, but I was wrong.  It's sexy as heck!  (PLUS, if I end up hating it, I can just take it off.)


I really can't stop looking at the mockup photo (above).  This bike has a bulldog flavor.  It's compact, thick, and nothing put punch.  Today was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment